- 1 Overview of the Garmin Forerunner 935:
- 2 Key Specs:
- 3 What’s good about the Garmin Forerunner 935?
- 4 How might the Garmin Forerunner 935 be improved?
- 5 When to make use of it?
- 6 Comparable products to match with:
- 7 Do you have to purchase the Garmin Forerunner 935?
- 8 Purchasing Info
- 9 Meet Your Reviewer: Ben Zuehlsdorf
Overview of the Garmin Forerunner 935:
The Garmin Forerunner 935 (FR935) is the greatest GPS operating watch I’ve ever used, period. OK, now that we obtained that out of the means let me explain why.
The FR935 is Garmin’s premier operating (and triathlon) multi-sport watch that does every little thing the discerning street or path runner needs – after which does an entire lot extra. It’s correct, snug, intuitive to use, wildly customizable, features a boatload of options, and classy. The one disadvantage I see is the worth. At $499.99 the FR935 is definitely fairly priced given it’s feature-set compared to its fundamental rivals, but nonetheless too costly I consider.
There are watches that do extra (e.g., whereas the FR935 shares the similar software as the Fenix 5 the Fenix 5x does embrace full mapping capabilities) and there are watches that arguably look better (e.g., sure models from the Suunto Spartan line) however when it comes to a complete package deal I feel this is the greatest do (virtually) every part GPS + optical coronary heart price watch obtainable in the present day.
Observe: given the number of options obtainable on GPS watches lately I’m going to give attention to the gadgets I hope most people care the most about. In case you are new to contemplating a GPS watch or just need a full record of all the options out there you possibly can see that by way of the Amazon Affiliate link (and you may be supporting URP for those who determine to purchase this manner too!)
- Weight: 49g (impressively light-weight and slim)
- Wrist-based optical heart price sensor built in-house by Garmin (they call it Elevate)
- Battery life: up to 24 hours in 1 second GPS recording mode; as much as 50 hours at the lowest GPS recording mode (and sure, you’ll be able to cost mid-activity if 24 hours isn’t enough)
- Principally plastic bezel with stainless fiber strengthened polymer, buttons, and rear case
- 5 tactile buttons to regulate every thing (i.e., there isn’t a touchscreen to worry about in wet weather)
- Up to 50m water resistance
- GPS with Glonass
- Altimeter: barometric
- Knowledge switch: USB / Bluetooth / Wi-Fi (so completely satisfied to see Wi-Fi back on a watch once more!)
- Sensor help: ANT+ & Bluetooth Sensible (so pleased to see ANT+ reinstated again too!)
- Knowledge captured: appears to be almost every little thing (i.e., whereas it clearly captures issues like distance, pace, vertical ascent, and so forth. it additionally includes a boatload of newer metrics like coaching standing and load, VO2Max estimates, and operating power)
- Customizable options: too many to listing but between widgets on the watch itself, all the sport modes you can ever need, Garmin’s Connect IQ apps, and so on. there’s seemingly no limit to the variety of customizations you can also make
The Garmin Forerunner 935 is accurate, snug, intuitive to make use of, wildly customizable, includes a boatload of features, and classy.
Now for extra details. In this evaluate, we’ll break things down in to four areas:
- What’s good: the new, differentiating, or just nicely designed or built features or points of the product.
- What might be improved: tweaks or improvements that might be made to make the product better.
- When to make use of it: the conditions or situations where the product excels.
- How it compares: my present go-to product(s) and how this compares.
- Do you have to purchase? My general suggestion on whether or not to purchase or not.
- Buying Info: where to go to buy this product.
I’ll attempt to be as succinct as attainable. In any case, you’ve in all probability received extra operating you can do as we speak!
What’s good about the Garmin Forerunner 935?
- Accuracy. I don’t find out about you however this is table stakes nowadays, proper? Nicely, the good news is that the FR935 doesn’t disappoint in this space. From an accuracy standpoint the key issues I care most about are the obvious ones – GPS, elevation knowledge, and HR. Every little thing else to me is gravy. I discovered the distance measurements, elevation knowledge, and optical coronary heart accuracy to be amongst the greatest I’ve seen to-date with the one caveat being that maybe as a result of my skin colour the HR measurements still wrestle throughout high depth intervals when wrist is soaked in sweat or water.
- Snug. The FR935 is appropriately sized, light-weight, and surprisingly thin. Mix this with all the micro-adjustments out there on the watch band itself and this makes for a really snug watch that may be worn all day, each day.
The FR935 is snug sufficient to wear all day and night time (and I want a tan! sheesh)
- Intuitive. Maybe it’s because I’ve been a long-time Garmin consumer however I’ve discovered their menu system to be more intuitive than the competitors.
- Customizable. Almost every part is customizable with this watch. From obvious issues like the watch face and knowledge screens to more advanced customizable options like the potential to put in and reorder widgets, operate in a bazillion sport modes (or create your personal), set up and use apps via Garmin’s Connect IQ platform, change the watch straps (coloured silicone straps, leather, and stainless-steel straps are all obtainable), customizing scorching keys, and so on. And the better part? Most of the customizing might be accomplished instantly on the watch itself.
Customize the watch to your coronary heart’s content material
- Battery life. It’s marketed as 24 hours in 1 second GPS recording mode. And I’m seeing pretty close to that in my real-world testing. That covers 99+% of most people use instances in a given yr. Adore it.
- The function set. Is there anything missing from this watch? The one factor I see on the market this watch seems to be missing is onboard storage for music (and Garmin just announced just a little sister with this function – the FR645M) and the full mapping capabilities of the Fenix 5X. Should you can stay without these two features there’s way more than sufficient right here to maintain you entertained.
- Capturing ALL the knowledge. While the FR935 obviously captures the widespread metrics like distance, time, tempo, elevation gained, and so on. it additionally does an entire lot more. Some of the new or notable knowledge metrics I discovered notably helpful consists of:
- Coaching impact numbers publish exercise cut up between aerobic and anaerobic impacts
- VO2Max estimates after exercises the place a change on this estimate was triggered
- A basic coaching status view to point out whether or not the coaching load (i.e., run) is contributing to your health (or in case you are probably over-reaching)
- 24 x 7 continuous coronary heart price monitoring, taken every 1-2 seconds which is new and notable here, to point out you things like modifications in your resting HR (which in flip I’ve found to be a great predictor of whether I’m about to get sick)
- Word: the FR935 captures so much more knowledge together with what Garmin calls their superior operating dynamics (e.g., vertical oscillation, stride size, operating energy) when paired with a suitable chest strap or operating pod however I don’t have a necessity for this knowledge yet. Nevertheless, it’s nice to realize it’s potential do you have to need to modify issues based mostly on this knowledge.
The newest optical heart-rate sensor from Garmin is included to power all types of helpful metrics
A lot knowledge! (observe: some knowledge is simply captured with a suitable RD pod or HR strap)
- Strava Reside Segments. While not unique to Garmin the people at Suunto, Epson, Polar, and Tom Tom (amongst others) have not signed on but. Star a phase or segments and go for a run or journey. As you strategy the phase you’ll get a countdown timer saying the begin of the phase. Then you definitely’ll get notified how you’re progressing during the phase and when it’s accomplished. I found this a useful means to determine the place distinctive segments start and end.
- The charging cable. It’s small and passes the helicopter check (i.e., you possibly can join the charging cable and swing it overhead like a helicopter and it’ll stay related). It works nicely.
The charging cable in action
How might the Garmin Forerunner 935 be improved?
- The worth. At $500 this watch does A TON. And when in comparison with its essential rivals from Suunto which value the similar or more with less features, in bulkier packages, and with half the battery life, chances are you’ll marvel why I’m knocking the worth level? Properly, $500 continues to be some huge cash and most people are paying for options they could never use with this watch. I’d love to see it come right down to $400 so it might attraction to extra people (and I think it’s going to as soon as COROS releases their $299 PACE watch with claimed excellent battery life).
- Just a little extra durable. To be clear I’ve not had a problem in any way with the primarily plastic housing but if pushed in the wild I feel a extra sturdy entrance display / housing can be appreciated.
When to make use of it?
- Each run, workout, journey, swim, ski, and so forth. This watch works for every run, sport, or exercise.
- With on a regular basis options like activity tracking, smartphone notifications, widgets (e.g., weather, calendar, and so forth.) this may be your day by day watch as properly.
Comparable products to match with:
We might use numerous words to match it with all the competing GPS watches and wearables on the market. From what I’ve used over the years (5 totally different Garmins, three Suuntos now, and an early version of a wrist-based optical sensor) I merely choose the choices from Garmin at this level once I take a look at the general value and options I’m in search of in an on a regular basis operating or race watch.
If you wish to spend less there isn’t a shortage of choices from each Suunto and other rivals that do lots of what the Garmin Forerunner 935 does. Comfortable to discuss in the comments part under if you want to highlight your particular needs or needs.
Do you have to purchase the Garmin Forerunner 935?
So, the $500 query – do you have to buy the Garmin Forerunner 935?
In a phrase, sure. It’s an awesome watch for all the reasons mentioned above.
03/23 Edit: Garmin provides a Forerunner improve program for certain models in change for a 20% off coupon. Contact Garmin Help for more info.
Questions about a selected function or use case, comments, or feedback on this watch? Please share! And thanks for studying!
Should you’re involved in buying this watch, please first examine availability at your local, independently owned operating specialty retailer. They want your small business and are an awesome useful resource for the group.
If that’s not an choice, please consider using this Amazon Affiliate hyperlink. The return policy is great, and it’ll drop a number of nickels into URP bucket should you determine to keep it. Thank You!
Meet Your Reviewer: Ben Zuehlsdorf
I’m an avid operating gear junkie. Once I’m not smelling new footwear I’m often operating or racing around the native trails in Marin County, California or speaking shop with the San Francisco Operating Company group of pals. I used to be once a street marathoner but now have transitioned virtually solely to the trails and racing ultras the previous couple of years.
Disclaimer: This product was offered to URP/me for evaluate functions. Compensation was neither provided nor requested and all phrases and thoughts are 100% my very own.